Spring depression is a mental disorder characterized by three main manifestations: decreased mood, loss of a sense of joy, and a pessimistic assessment of current events. In the spring, it is often not depression itself, as people are used to calling it, but a depressive state caused by psychological causes. In the medical sense, depression itself refers to a severe mental illness that occurs due to biochemical changes in the human brain and needs serious as well as prolonged treatment. In people, such conditions are not so common and in such cases you cannot do without the help of a psychiatrist or psychotherapist. The lack of timely treatment for depression in humans is fraught with serious consequences.
According to statistics, representatives of the fair sex are more prone to spring depressive states than men. But women who lead an active lifestyle suffer less from this condition than those who spend days constantly in the kitchen or on maternity leave. It should be borne in mind that all age categories of women are subject to spring spleen.
Causes of Spring Depression
One of the reasons for this condition is the individual’s personal response to stress factors. In some cases, these external stress factors are serious external influences: overload at work, mental trauma, changes in hormonal levels.
In other cases, spring depression is caused by a combination of reasons, each of which is not capable of provoking depressive states on its own, but together they create an effect when everything is annoying and not happy.
The causes of spring depression are caused by the following factors:
- lack of sunlight;
- lack of fresh air causing oxygen starvation and leading to hypoxia;
- lack of trace elements and a number of vitamins;
- a sedentary lifestyle leading to physical inactivity, and the lack of movement and physical activity provokes the development of anhedonia ;
- weakening of immunity due to malnutrition;
- hormonal changes in the body (every six months - in the spring and autumn, the body is rebuilt for a new season, warmer or colder); without consequences, the restructuring of the body does not work - it weakens. The female body reacts more sensitively to hormonal changes.
Symptoms of spring depression in women
Women are moody creatures. First, they wait all winter for light and warmth, and with the advent of spring they are not happy about its appearance, but fall into a strange state. Despondency, melancholy, breakdown, tearfulness, sad mood, melancholy - this is still an incomplete list of feelings overtaking women in spring.
With the onset of spring, for some women it becomes unbearable, and for this women have “objective” reasons. In spring, the weather is not at all what it seemed in winter: either for weeks the sky is overcast or it rains for days on end. Favorite skirt sits already not like last fall. The skin of the face is not happy either: it is either peeling or glossy and gaping in pores. Morning rise is difficult, although birds chirp outside the window with spring trills. There are gloomy people in transport, colleagues at work are irritable, and the boss is feisty. If a woman began to notice all of the above signs around herself, then she was overtaken by spring depression .
Signs of a spring depressive state are diverse, but there is a mandatory decline in mental and physical strength. You can also claim spring depression if a woman has a long time three or four of the following symptoms:
- irritability ;
- bad mood;
- without serious causes of tears;
- physical weakness;
- a feeling of anxiety, anxiety;
- a feeling of fatigue when performing a familiar job;
- apathy ;
- difficulties with concentration: it is difficult to understand what the presenters of analytical programs say, as well as difficult texts to comprehend;
- lack of desire to learn something new or work;
- lack of appetite or a constant desire to absorb food ( bulimia );
- negative thoughts.
Symptoms of spring depression in men
Often men do not talk about their problems, because in their understanding they pose a threat to their masculinity. Often, spring depression in men goes unnoticed by themselves and their relatives. This is a serious problem because, according to statistics, one out of four men “torments” his family and himself without receiving the necessary help and treatment.
Some scientists believe that this disorder in men can cause a decrease in the hormone testosterone, which affects mental well-being and physical health. In addition to mood changes in men, there is also a decrease in memory.
This disorder in men is not so often discussed in society and often occurs in representatives of the strong half at the age of 55-60. It is associated not only with psychological problems, but also with endocrine ones, due to a gradual decrease in testosterone production at this age.
Symptoms of spring depression are most common in men:
- feeling of tiredness;
- slowing down of movements, thought processes and speech;
- constant drowsiness or lack of sleep;
- changes in weight;
- pain in the abdomen or back;
- digestion disorder;
- irritability and increased nervousness ;
- difficulty concentrating;
- negative thinking;
- Stay in a prolonged state of stress;
- increased anxiety ;
- abuse of alcohol or drugs;
- erectile disfunction;
- self-doubt and indecision;
- suicidal thoughts.
Spring depression in men significantly affects family relationships, study, career, nutrition and sleep, as well as general health.
Spring Depression Treatment
Depressive states can occur in various forms. If a bad mood worries you for only a few days and does not have a long nature, and there are very few expressed symptoms, then any individual can cope with this condition without outside help. In severe cases, when it is not possible to cope on their own, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
The following recommendations will help get rid of spring depression:
- daily walks in the fresh air;
- physical exercises;
- intake of vitamin complexes;
- adherence to a balanced diet;
- a full day and night rest;
- Stay at home and at work among bright objects, adding bright accents to the wardrobe;
- communication with friends, family, relatives;
- shopping is the best cure for depression and despondency.
The main thing to remember is that, following all these rules, spring depression will be easier to flow and will certainly end when the time of year changes.
Prevention of spring depression. Preventive measures against spring depressive conditions include the following recommendations:
- the inclusion in the diet of foods that promote the formation of endorphins: nuts, bananas, a small amount of chocolate. Also useful are vegetables, fruits, which the body lacks in the spring. A full vitamin complex, which can be purchased at any pharmacy, will not be superfluous;
- as a prophylactic, once a week aromatherapy with the use of essential oils will be effective: patchouli, orange, juniper, cinnamon;
- herbal chamomile tea with the use of equal amounts of tinctures motherwort, evading peony, valerian, hawthorn;
- It is recommended to move more, walk, breathe fresh air.
Do not put off healing from an unpleasant state for later. Starting today you can quickly get rid of the spring blues.